The WPT crowns yet another champion and launches a new streaming service. Doug Polk explains his recent absence from vlogging. Find these stories and more in the Thursday Hit and Run.
Vinicius is the fourth WPT champion on the week
Vinicius Lima took down the WPT Borgata Winter Poker Open Main Event on Wednesday for a $728,430 first place prize and a $15,000 seat the WPT Tournament of Champions. Lima outlasted a field of 1,415 entries and a final table that included David Farah, Joseph Rojas, Brandon Hall, Daniel Buzgon and Ian O’Hara.
|World Poker Tour WPT Borgata Poker Winter Open Final Results|
|3||Joseph Di Rosa Rojas||$359,555|
The victory was the largest of Lima’s career, with his previous best coming in February 2018 at the $1,600 No Limit Hold’em DeepStack Extravaganza, where he won $102,149 for a third-place finish.
The tournament was third final table to be held this week at the Hyper Esports Arena with David “ODB” Baker winning the WPT L.A. Poker Classic on Monday and Frank Stepuchin taking down the WPT Gardens Poker Championship on Tuesday. Erkut Yilmaz also won at the WPT Rolling Thunder, his second WPT title.
After crowning four champions this week, Erkut Yilmaz holds the lead in the 2019 WPT Player of the Year honors.
– Speaking of the WPT, the popular tour has partnered with Unreel to provide free access for its new streaming service, WatchWPT. The content is available through the WatchWPT app, where poker fans can watch more than 250 hours of coverage from the WPT, Alpha 8 and WPT Greatest. Coverage will include final tables of WPT events with Vice President Johnny McMahon saying that coverage for WPT500, WPTDeepStacks and classic WPT events may also be added if the demand from fans is there.
– Where’s Doug Polk been? Not making poker videos on YouTube. In a tweet from Thursday, Polk explained that he has been focusing on his health and well-being over the last few months:
I feel good about where I am at, but I do also feel bad for my fans who want to see me put out content or play poker. Always have appreciated the support from you guys, and at some point maybe I will have the fire once again. For now though, my focus is on health and investing.
— Doug Polk (@DougPolkPoker) March 14, 2019
– The World Poker Tour had a big week of four final tables, including three at the HyperX Esports Arena. Of the 18 players at the three final tables, only five were wearing patches from a sponsor.
– A PA iLottery player became the fourth to win a prize of $100,000 since the Pennsylvania Online Lottery launched in May of 2018 while playing a game of Rainbow Fortunes.
– Thursday’s Grinderschool.com featured training video is Episode 4 of 9 in CFTheNatural’s “What are the Odds” series, which details the difficult spots presented in PLO. In this episode, CFTheNatural takes a look at several hands where the nuts change from street to street and how to adapt.
Best poker videos on the Web
– Andrew Neeme, Brad Owen and JohnnieVibbes all make an appearance in Neeme’s latest vlog post from Thursday, where he reports in from San Antonio.
Image courtesy of the World Poker Tour and Joe Giron.