Steve O’Dwyer with another big score. Pennsylvania moves closer to sports betting launch. And poker publisher Two Plus Two releasing two new books in 2019. Check out these stories and more in the Wednesday Hit and Run.
Steve O’Dwyer wins £25k High Roller
While the partypoker LIVE Millions UK Main Event completed Day 1c, other tournaments on the schedule grabbed the day’s headlines.
Red-hot Steve O’Dwyer continued his streak of 2018 wins he took down the £25,000 buy-in Super High Roller for £450,000, defeating a field of 51 entries. Joining O’Dwyer at the final table were Fabizio Gonzalez, Orpen Kisacikoglu, Chrisoph Vogelsand, Aymon Hata and Niall Farrell.
— partypokerLIVE (@partypokerlive) October 3, 2018
O’Dwyer has earned more than $4 million in live tournament winning this year, bringing his lifetime total to over $24 million, which is 12th all-time. His large paydays during 2018 include a win at €50,000 No Limit Hold’em at the EPT Monte Carlo for $ 818,468 and a second place finish during the €25,000 NLHE a few days later. He has also earned 2nd place finishes in Triton Poker events in May and July as a well as a victory in the $50,000 PCA in January ($769,500).
In other partypoker LIVE Millions UK action, Brandon Sheils took down the £1,000 Open for £180,000.
– Wednesday was a big day for gambling in Pennsylvania. In a monthly regulatory meeting, Penn National Gaming — owner of Hollywood Casino — and Parx Casino each received approval to operate sportsbooks in PA with Parx revealing they hope to go live in November. The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board also signed off on the online gambling licenses of Sands Bethlehem and Valley Forge, making seven PA casinos that have been approved thus far. Despite the approvals, the PGCB has yet to sign off on a final launch of online gambling in the state.
– In the latest issue of the Two Plus Two magazine, Two Plus Two owner Mason Malmuth revealed two new poker books in the pipeline. The first one, coming in early 2019, is an autobiography from Eli Elezra called Pulling the Trigger; The Autobiography of Poker Pro Eli Elezra. The book would represent the first autobiography released by the publisher. The second book is a big more familiar to readers, a sequel to David Sklansky’s influential Theory of Poker . The Theory of Poker Applied to No-Limit will takes the concept of Theory of Poker and adopts it for the modern no limit hold’em game.
– Alex Weldon is back with his latest poker rankings update which takes a look at the best poker players on leaderboards across the internet, including those from the Global Poker Index, Cardplayer and Pocket Fives.
– So far we have seen some the huge pots of the No Limit Hold’em cash games at the Triton Poker Super High Roller Series. Over the last few days, Triton Poker has released the first episode of the $300,000 buy-in Short Deck cash games. Watch episode 1 in full below:
If you’re one of the players struggling to understand short deck poker, watch Joey Ingram try to figure it out as he breaks down the first episode from the Triton Poker Super High Roller Series.
– The poker world is buzzing about the new short deck games, but does it have a chance to become a major game anytime soon? Poker history is filled with the shifting popularity of poker games. Card Player Lifestyle takes a look at the games that could potentially be the next big thing in poker.