A date is revealed for PokerStars next anniversary Sunday Millions event. Phil Hellmuth cashes in his first live tournament since last summer. Check out these stories and more in the Monday Hit and Run.
PokerStars Sunday Million Anniversary date revealed
This April will mark the 13th anniversary of the PokerStars Sunday Million, online poker’s most prestigious weekly tournament. The event, which will be held on April 14th, which features a much larger prize pool compared to the normal $1 million guaranteed by PokerStars.
PokerStars has yet to reveal the guarantee for the mid-April event, although the last three years have featured guarantees of $10 million. The 2018 event yielded an overlay of over $1.2 million, the largest overlay in online poker’s 20-year history. A second event, dubbed “Take 2” was held a couple months later, attracting 56,310 entries and with it, $11,262,000 in entries.
Yesterday, the Sunday Million slashed its buy-in from $215 to $109 for the first time, resulting in an impressive 15,550 entries, far exceeding the 10,000 entries required to meet the guarantee. The event was won by 555AU for $136,892.
There was a massive turn out for the new look $109 #SundayMillion and the guarantee was smashed.
✅ 15,550 entries
✅ $1,555,000 prize pool
✅ $136,892.99 first prize
✅ 22% of the field won their seat via satellites, for as little as $0.11
✅ Full recap: https://t.co/BJzBC8EOzN pic.twitter.com/V2gdjdj6UO
— PokerStars (@PokerStars) January 28, 2019
– Phil Hellmuth isn’t playing many live tournaments these days, but the 15-time WSOP bracelet winner did manage to snag the Borgata Winter Poker Open Heads-Up event for $37,248, defeating a field of 64 players. The win was his first since the 2018 WSOP, where he cashed seven times including winning a bracelet in the 30-Minute Levels event of the $5,000 No Limit Hold’em for $485,082.
— phil_hellmuth (@phil_hellmuth) January 28, 2019
Hellmuth was also recently interviewed by Poker Strategy, where he discusses tipping, playing more in 2019 and Daniel Negreanu.
– The Aussie Millions rolls on with major events advancing through the weekend. The AUD$50,000 Challenge is down to five players after Day 2 completed on Monday with Toby Lewis holding the chip lead and Dominik Nitsche among the table’s remaining players.
Meanwhile, the first two flights of the AUD$10,300 Aussie Millions Main Event are in the books with 214 players advancing to Day 2 with one more Day 1 flight slated for Tuesday.
– Looking for another poker podcast to add to your weekly rotation? The debut of the Pokerfuse Podcast dropped last week, where pokerfuse founders Nick Jones and Mike Gentile aim to “get into the nitty-gritty of the week’s hot poker topics” over what the pair hope is under 30 minutes.
– Last week, much of the schedule for the 2019 WSOP was released, with 74 events currently the summer classic with events slated for late May through mid-July. US Poker’s Martin Derbyshire shares his thoughts on some of the notable changes from last year.
– Monday’s featured classic Grinderschool.com poker training video is the 9th video in Carroters’ Adjusting to Player Types series. In this episode, Carroters gathers some tips and clues to help you put identify your opponents at the poker table.
Recent notable poker videos
– Play enough poker and you’re bound to see some crazy things. This hand was streamed by two different streamers, which was compiled by one of the players in the hand, Darren Mann.
Has this EVER happened in the history of poker between two streamers?!? @official_glp @TheGoldenBlazer @TwitchPoker @andrewneeme @TheBradOwen @GodsBigToePoker @PokerNews @DogWisdomPoker @TeamPokerPastor @Crazysixes66 @DougPolkPoker @RealKidPoker @Tizull @tonkaaaap @PokerBrahs pic.twitter.com/p9CWPumf6c
— Darren Mann (@dmannpoker) January 25, 2019
– Speaking of streaming, watch Lex Veldhuis take down the Sunday Warmup yesterday:
We did it fam! Won the @PokerStars Sunday Warmup for $34.600!!! So happy right now. Huge monkey off my back. Thanks for tuning in and the massive support. What a way to start the year!! pic.twitter.com/s9KWyZXN0O
— LexVeldhuis (@RaSZi) January 28, 2019
– Marle Cordeiro posted her latest vlog over the weekend where she goes over some recent hands at $2/$5 at the Wynn.
– Jaime Staples hits the gym and posts some highlights of his Twitch sessions on January 23rd and January 24th.