Pennsylvania says online gambling will be delayed until this summer. PokerStars to restrict third-party tools on March 4th. Find these stories and more in the Thursday Hit and Run.
PA online gambling targeted for July 1st
Looks like Pennsylvanians will have to wait a bit longer to play at online casinos and poker rooms in the state. On Wednesday, the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board told the state’s House Appropriations Committee that online gambling and online sports betting would likely come to the state sometime around July 1st.
Prior to the beginning of the year, conventional wisdom was that PA online gambling go would live sometime in the first quarter of 2019. However, the Department of Justice’s January Wire Act reversal shook the emerging regulated online gambling industry. Last month, the PGCB gave Pennsylvania casinos 30 days to develop plans for how they would comply with the new opinion. Kevin O’Toole, the executive director the PGCB said that the opinion had caused a modest delay. PA casinos must demonstrate that online casino infrastructure — not just player wagering — in the state must remain in the state.
I would expect online sports betting to come in tandem.
If I’m a PA casino that paid ~$20mm for the right to offer sports betting (retail + online) and online casino / poker, I’m getting pretty steamed by delays at this point. https://t.co/Q8ui36dJvA
— Chris Grove (@OPReport) February 28, 2019
PokerStars third-part tool ban set for March 4th
– PokerStars has decided on a date for its ban of many third-party tools. On March 4th, PokerStars will begin to restrict apps that help players optimize their play and profits. The ban will affect seating scrips as well as automated or partially automated tools while playing on PokerStars.
The tools, which tend to favor more skilled players, have been allowed on many sites including PokerStars for some time. PokerStars director of Innovation and Poker Operations Severin Rasset says that some of the tools undermine the spirit of the game. “For PokerStars, my vision is to limit as much as possible the use of tools that artificially enhance the process of sitting down to play, and play itself. Tools that can give players an edge over others and which detract from the journey of developing the skills necessary to become a better poker player.”
– partypoker has become the second licensed online poker room in the Czech Republic. The online poker room will launch in the country as a partner of King’s Casino in Rozvadov, which hosts World Series of Poker Europe. In order to play, players will be required to verify identity by making a trip to the Post Office and presenting a valid ID.
– If you are a poker player, Phil Hellmuth sees you as a type of animal. Take a quiz on Upswing Poker to find out what type of poker animal you are.
– Thursday’s Grinderschool poker training video is part 6 of Gazellig’s series on “Facing Raises in MTTs.” This episode takes a look at handling raises in the MP1 position.
Notable poker videos across the internet
– Andrew Neeme reports in from another meetup game to coincide with Brad Owen’s birthday as dozens of players show up to play $3/$5 No Limit Hold’em at the Graton Casino.