Arguments heard in New Hampshire Lottery Wire Act case. A new member added to Team PokerStars. Find these stories and more in the Thursday Hit and Run.
Judge hears arguments in NH Lottery Wire Act case
On Monday, a US District Court in New Hampshire heard arguments from the New Hampshire Lottery and the U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday in proceedings that could indicate where the future of the DOJ’s January opinion is heading. New Hampshire filed a lawsuit last month protesting the DOJ’s latest opinion that the Wire Act was applicable to all forms of online gambling including parts of state lotteries.
In instant reaction from the day’s proceedings, Online Poker Report staff called the hearing a win for the New Hampshire lottery and tangentially, the online gaming industry. The DOJ released a memo earlier this week saying state lotteries were not applicable to the Wire Act opinion. In light of that new information, there was a risk the case could be thrown out entirely, and with it, the strongest current effort to throw out the January opinion.
The judge seems unimpressed with the DOJ contention that the @NHLottery does not have standing to bring it's complaint. A good sign that the case will proceed. Link here for live (or near live) updates: https://t.co/U6TtLarXYm
— Poker Alliance (@ppapoker) April 11, 2019
– PokerStars has been making headlines for its shedding of poker room ambassadors of late, but the online poker room is not abandoning the Team PokerStars concept. On Wednesday, PokerStars announced its latest signing, Kalidou Sow, who notably won the EPT Prague Main Event in December 2017. Sow, who has $1,652,599 in recorded live tournament winnings, also won a Platinum Pass last year in the run-up to the PokerStars Players Championship.
– Elio Fox took down the $50,000 2019 Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown this week, defeating 20 others that included a final table of Sam Soverel, Alex Foxen and Almedin Imsirovic. The WPT Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown kicks off on April 12th to the $3,500 buy-in event and features a $3 million guaranteed prize pool.
– Steven van Zadelhoff’s win during the partypoker POWERFEST $530 Deep 6-max yielded a $25,368.23 first place prize. The series continues through April 14th, when the three championship events are held at the $320, $2,100 and $5,200 levels.
– Thursday’s featured Grinderschool poker training is part 8 of Colossus’ classic “Cash Games with Colossus” series. This collection of videos showcase his $0.05/$0.10 no limit hold’em shorthanded sessions.
Best poker videos on the Web
– Poker player James Holzhauer broke a Jeopardy single day episode when he won $110,914 during the show:
– Joey Ingram’s Poker Life Podcast releases its third episode of the week. This one is an interview with the entertaining Garrett Adelstein.
– After a 1-month absence, Marle Cordeiro is back with her latest vlog and she is mixing it up with a mundane life as a poker player.