A huge legislative victory out of Michigan. PokerStars partners with the UFC. Check out these stories and more in the Friday Hit and Run.
Online gambling in Michigan passes state legislature
Michigan looks poised to become the fifth state to regulate online gambling after the Michigan legislature overwhelmingly passed a bill that would regulate online poker, casinos and open up the possibility for sportsbooks. The bill must now be signed by the governor in order to become law.
In regulating online gambling, Michigan joins a list of states that include Nevada, New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania.
If the governor signs the bill — which is expected — Michigan players would have to wait a bit to play. The bill requires that a launch cannot happen for at least 15 months after the passage of the bill, which would put a launch into 2010. Casinos that choose to offer online gambling are subject to a $200,000 license fee with a $100,000 renewal fee. In addition, casinos would have to pay a 8% tax plus a Detroit 1.25% local share tax.
The bill would also ultimately allow Michigan to join an interstate player pool that includes Nevada, New Jersey and Delaware.
ICYMI: Big news late last night as the Michigan legislature (Senate and House) passed a bill legalizing online poker and casino games. The Gov. is expected to sign the bill according to sources. More details to come https://t.co/zqfBpFjof2
— Steve Ruddock (@SteveRuddock) December 21, 2018
– PokerStars has partnered with the UFC on a deal would allow PokerStars to become the official poker partner of the UFC. The deal will allow PokerStars branding to appear on UFC broadcasts, digital media, social media and other promotion opportunities.
In other good news for PokerStars, a Kentucky court has decided to reverse a $870 million judgment against the online poker room. PokerStars had originally been sued as part of a loss recovery statute that allowed for the collection of losses from “illegal gambling” when PokerStars accepted play from Kentucky.
– New Jersey online poker continues its struggle, producing revenue declines in 20 out of 21 months. Online casinos are another story, however, as online casinos outpace their poker counterparts by a factor of 16.
– Part Time Poker has begun releasing classic GrinderSchool.com training videos on YouTube. Make sure to keep up with the PTP YouTube channel for the latest uploads. We’ll also be highlighting videos here on PartTimePoker.com. Today’s featured video is part 1 of Carroters’ “Study and Grind” series where he focuses on exploitation in poker.
Best poker videos on YouTube
– Joey Ingram has been busy this week with the Poker Life Podcast. In this episode, Dan Smith joins Ingram to talk about high stakes poker and a million dollar charity donation.
– Brad Owen with another great poker vlog. In this episode, Owen presents part 2 of his trip to Run it Up Reno.
– PokerNews talks to poker players about their favorite way to determine who pays the dinner bill.
– The latest episode of Poker Night In America from Season 6 highlights a $25/$50 game from the Rivers Casino featuring Shaun Deeb.
– Back from EPT Prague, Jaime Staples returns to the virtual felt with highlights from his most recent Twitch session.