Jason Koon takes down the latest big prize at the Triton Poker SHR Series Jeju. A final table is set for the L.A. Poker Classic. Check out these stories and more in the Thursday Hit and Run.
Jason Koon is the latest winner at the Triton Poker SHR Series in Jeju after taking down the HKD 1M Short Deck event ($127k buy-in equivalent) to win nearly $3 million. Koon outlasted 81 entries over two days including Paul Phua heads-up to win the title. The appearance at the final table was Koon’s third of the Jeju series, having previously finished fourth in the HKD 500k Short Deck Event and sixth in the HDK 500k 6-max No Limit Hold’em. Koon has now won over $3.6 million for the series thus far.
Despite coming up short in the tournament, the event produced four $1 million scores, with Phua, Fukat Rakhimov and Jun Wang each taking home seven figures in addition to Koon.
Missed the action on Thursday? Watch Jason Koon and Paul Phua battle it out heads-up the HKD 1M Short Deck Ante Only Event.
Follow the Main Event live beginning at 12:30 AM ET from the Triton Poker Twitch channel. Watch replays of the action during breaks in the broadcast.
Friday will see Day 2 of the Main Event as well as the start of the HKD 1M Triton Refresh.
– A final table is set for the World Poker Tour L.A. Poker Classic, which is set to resume on March 11th from the HyperX ESports Arena at the Luxor Hotel and Casino. Darren Elias will go into the final table as chip leader with just over 9 million in chips, almost double that of David ODB Baker, who sits with 4,760,000 in chips. Each player still alive is guaranteed at least $201,650 with $1,015,000 going to the eventual champion.
Should Elias be able to hold on to his chip lead, he would win his fifth career World Poker Tour title.
|2||David "ODB" Baker||4,760,000|
– Free money poker room Zynga is one of the worlds largest online poker rooms, generating $140 million in revenue during 2018 from the real money purchase of play money chips. But despite being a free money site, the poker room is not immune to the problem of bots.
– Efforts to legalize Michigan online gambling is again in the cards after a couple of related bills were introduced on Thursday. Last year, both halves of the Michigan State legislature passed an online gambling bill, before the bill was ultimately being vetoed by former Governor Rick Synder.
– From the Fake News Bin: BonusCodePoker forced a bot to watch over 100 hours of high stakes poker and then asked it to write an episode of its own. Here is the first page.
– Thursday’s featured Grinderschool poker training video is part 4 of Carroters’ “Whack A Fish” series. In this episode, Carroters goes over mistakes and improvements from a downswing.
Best poker videos on the web
– Pete Latham caught up with Tom Dwan at the Triton Poker Super High Roller Series Jeju 2019 to discuss a variety of topics including, poker, fame, life and short deck poker.
– Sofia Lovgren speaks with PokerNews about recent Twitter drama: