Houston cracks down on local card clubs. PokerStars to introduce novelty games to tournament players. Find these stories and more in the Thursday Hit and Run.
Local police say the games are illeagl
Two Houston poker rooms, the Prime Scial Club and Post Oak Poker Club, were raided by Houston Police on Wednesday afternoon with nine owners and managers arrested. In a statement, District Attorney Kim Ogg said that “poker rooms are illegal in Texas.” The nine arrested on Wednesday were booked on charges of money laundering as well as organized criminal activity.
The Houston Police Chief said that the bust on Wednesday was part of a larger crackdown of poker rooms in Houston. While the Houston Police Department believes that cardrooms are breaking the state’s gambling laws, operators say they are in compliance with the law because they don’t charge a rake. The card rooms bring in revenue from membership fees while operating as a private club. There are believed to be around 40 similar poker clubs operating in the state.
BREAKING: Heavy police presence at popular poker room in SW Houston | Electronics being removed now https://t.co/vOg6YutDVz
— ABC13 Houston (@abc13houston) May 1, 2019
– PokerStars is continuing their experimental game expansion, this time for the online poker room’s multi-table tournaments. 6+ Hold’em, Fusion, Showtime Hold’em and Showtime Omaha are expected to be rolled out in tournament form soon.
– At the EPT Monte Carlo, Krzysztof Magott won the €5,200 Single Day High Roller for €113,370 on Tuesday, defeating Alexandre Amiel heads-up.
Meanwhile, the €5,300 EPT Main Event began its third day with 107 players remaining out of the original 385. By late Thursday that number had dwindled down to 32 players with €25k Single Day High Roller winner Timothy Adams taking the chip lead.
Poker fans can continue to watch the Main Event until its completion from the PokerStars Twitch channel:
– ICYMI: Watch highlights of the boxing match between Kevin Hart and Antonio Esfandiari:
View this post on Instagram
The most challenging & most fun thing to do in life is to just step out of your lane and try different shit….that's what this was for me & @magicantonio ….We said fuck it and actually got into the ring and went at it. It was by far the most challenging thing ever. Major thank you to @dopepickwan for the video ….I gotta give @magicantonio credit because he didn’t let me fight the fight that I wanted to…He wouldn’t let me get inside and fight a small mans fight…He grabbed me and tied me up every chance he got and it killed my legs…I was dead in the 3rd. Great strategy u big nose jackass 😂😂😂😂 Rematch coming in 2022 😂😂😂😂 #hartvsesfandiari
– The 2019 Kentucky Derby is just two days away, and with a late scratch from Omaha Beach, here is what you need to know to wager and win at this year’s Run for the Roses.
– From the Fake News Bin: Man wins his first tournament for every a million, but unfortunately, the victory came at ClubWPT.
– Thursday’s featured Grinderschool poker training video is another training session with Colossos as he plays the $0.05/$0.10 no limit hold’em shorthanded tables. In this episode, Colossos, plays four tables as he focuses on playing big pots with big hands.
Best poker videos on the Web
– Shaun Deeb was live in-person as a guest in Joey Ingram’s Poker Life Podcast, where the pair discuss the feud with Daniel Negreanu, the recent markup controversy and the upcoming 2019 World Series of Poker.
– Matt Vaughn reports in from the Borgata Poker Open in his latest vlog post.
– Jeff Gross with highlights from his deep run in the $320 Gladiator, which featured a $250,000 guarantee.