Phil Galfond looks ahead to the next challenge after defeating Venividi in the first Galfond Challenge. Kevin Hart joins partypoker as ambassador. Check out these stories and more in the Monday Hit and Run.
Galfond set to face off against Bill Perkin and the Thirst Lounge “this week”
Sunday was an exciting day for those who have been following the Galfond Challenge as Phil Galfond pulled out the win on the last hand of the challenge after 40 days of competition and nearly a seven-figure deficit at one point. Review the day’s action with PartTimePoker’s David Huber recap of the conclusion on Sunday.
So now that Galfond has completed the challenge with Venividi, what’s next for Galfond? Another challenge of course, this time with Bill Perkins and The Thirst Lounge crew. And Galfond is not waiting long before getting started, suggesting on Twitter that it will begin this week.
Sorry for being slow to reply to all of the wonderful messages I’ve gotten already.
I desperately need some rest.
We’ll be moving on to the next #GalfondChallenge this week.
— Phil Galfond (@PhilGalfond) April 12, 2020
The Challenge with Perkins and The Thirst Lounge crew will take on a slightly different structure than the previous challenge. The stakes will be lowered to €100/€200 PLO with the challenge lasting for either 50,000 hands or a €400k loss for the Thirst Lounge. Galfond is also giving Perkins better side bet odds – $1 million to his $250,000.
The Galfond Challenge has gripped the poker world over the last couple of months not just because of a lack of poker headlines, but because poker fans have enthusiasticlaly rooted for one of the nicest guys in poker, especially after suddenly becoming an underdog. CardPlayerLifestyle’s Robbie Strazynski lists his 10 takeaways from the first Galfond Challenge.
– Comedian and avid poker Kevin Hart has joined the ever-expanding roster of Team partypoker, in a role that will have him helping promote poker to the amateur player. Kevin Hart had previously been an ambassador at PokerStars.
Happy my good friend @KevinHart4real is now official @partypoker partner. Was talking about partypoker ethos at cash game with him, @Andrew_Robl @BrokeLivingJRB & Kevin promised to help us promote poker to new/amateur players, so made him do this video to commit his ass!💪KTF Rob pic.twitter.com/BHjckqbhRS
— Rob Yong (@rob_yong_) April 10, 2020
– Pablo Silver took down the Irish Poker Open Main Event, which was held on partypoker over the weekend, to win a €462,100 first-place prize after outlasting 2945 entries over four Day 1 flights.
In other notable online tournament action over the weekend, “onehundredeyez” won the Powerfest $1 Million Guaranteed Big Game Phase Final for $241,082 while partypoker Team Online member Jordan Drummond took down the $200k guaranteed 8-Max PKO event for $28,340. Pokerfuse summarizes some of the big wins over the weekend.
– The Poker Masters also ticked off over the weekend as an online event — and slightly less fanfare — at partypoker. Elias Talvitie who came out on top of the first event, the $25.5k buy-in $1M Gtd NLH 8-Max for a $481,250 win. Tobias Ziegler won Event #2, the $10,300 buy-in $500K PLO 6-Max for $192,249 while Alex Foxen took down event #3, the $10.3k buy-in $250k Guaranteed NLH 6-max event for $309,677. Two additional events, the $10.3k buy-in $500,000 Guaranteed NLHE 9-max and the $10,300 buy-in 6-Max NLHE with $500,000 guaranteed get underway on Monday.
– With very few sports playing games, daily fantasy sports sites like DraftKings have needed to get really creative to continue to offering contests to players — from eSports to virtual sports to obscure sports you have never heard of.
– In Monday’s featured poker training videos, we continue our look at Gazellig’s “€5 MTT HH Review” series. In this episode, Gazellig talks about running hot in an MTT and how to make the most of opportunities.
US Players Accepted
Get started with $20 free
Texas Holdem Ring Games, Tourneys, and SNGs
Sweeps Coins Winnings Redeemable For Cash Prizes
US Players Accepted
2,000,000 Gold Coins Free on Sign up
Play Slots and Table Games
Sweep Coins Winnings Redeemable for Cash Prizes
Best poker videos on the Internet
– Run It Once Poker Team Pro Kevin Rabichow joins The Rake with Jaime Kerstetter and Marle Cordeiro to discuss coaching, strategy, the coronavirus and the Galfond Challenge;
– Triton Poker has dropped Episode 3 of the Les Ambassadeurs NLHE Private Game from Triton Poker London 2019 on YouTube. This video features play from the likes of Tom Dwan, Elton Tsang, Qiang Wang and others.
– Check out Jaime Staples Twitch stream highlights from a April 9th session partypoker where he sits down for some MTT action including events from the Powerfest and Gladiator: