The Jungleman calls out Tom Dwan again. The price tag of 888 Holding’s AAPN purchase revealed. Check out these stories and more in the Wednesday Hit and Run.
Dan Cates pings Tom Dwan for update to durrrr Challenge
The “durrrr Challenge” between Dan “Jungelman” Cates and Tom “durrrr” Dwan has been left uncompleted for the better part of a decade. Over the last few years, the oft-delayed challenge has remained unplayed despite Cates’ efforts to get it restarted. Over the weekend, Cates’ efforts went public as he reached out to Dwan via Twitter:
@TomDwan Hey, haven't heard from you in a while. Don't you think it's time to give everyone an update on the durrr challenge, started in 2010?
— Daniel Cates (@junglemandan) December 30, 2018
The durrrr Challenge requires that the pair play 50,000 hands of $200/$400 No Limit while four-tabling. Cates currently leads the challenge by $1,251,059 with just under 20,000 hands to go. Before the Challenge, Dwan agreed to a 3:1 bet $500,000 bet, with Cates set to receive $1.5 million if he beat Dwan.
– Last month, 888 Holdings announced that it was purchasing 53% of the All American Poker Network (AAPN) from partner Avenue Capital, becoming the sole owner of the network, which has a presence in Delaware, Nevada and New Jersey. The price tag for that acquisition has been revealed: $28 million. Helped by merged liquidity — which no other poker network shares at the moment — the AAPN is the largest regulated poker room in the United States.
– Poker News names Justin Bonomo’s performance the number one story of 2018, after the poker player wins $25 million during the year, with most of the wins coming at the first part of the year. During 2018, Bonomo won the Super High Roller Bowl for $5 million and The Big One For One Drop for $10 million.
– Jake Schindler is the winner of the 2018 CardPlayer “Player of the Year” award. Shindler reached a record 31 final tables during the year, beating the previous record by eight.
– In many ways, 2018 turned out to be an excellent year for poker. But what does 2019 hold? Barry Carter from PokerStrategy has some predictions that include the rise of a newer game, the success of PSPC and the largest tournament prize yet?
– Today’s featured Grinderschool.com poker training video takes a look at Againstime’s “SNG Quizzes” series. In this episode, Againstime gives beginners a taste for when it’s appropriate to shove.
Best poker videos on YouTube
– Joey Ingram talks about his upcoming appearance at the $25,000 PokerStars Players Championship and how he is preparing. Ingram was given a $30,000 Platinum Pass by PokerStars after the poker room agreed to also give a Platinum Pass to a poker player featured in a viral video, who received a WSOP trip for Christmas. And if you can’t get enough Joey Ingram, watch him sit on the other side of the mic as CardPlayer Lifestyle’s Robbie Strazynski sits down with Ingram for a 30-minute interview.
– Meanwhile, Jaime Staples also shares his thoughts on the $25,000 PokerStars Players Championship. But while you wait to see how Jaime does in this landmark tournament, watch the highlights of his December 28th stream, where he makes a deep run in the $530 buy-in High Roller Club Bounty Builder.
– Daniel Negreanu proposes to girlfriend Amanda Letherman, announced in a video posted on New Year’s Day.