John Monnette’s sneaky good WSOP. Poker player Andrew Brokos recounts his encounter with Chris Ferguson. Crazy Eights’ stellar turnout. And more.
Four bracelets have been handed out since our last update.
– Event #50, $1,500 No Limit Holdem Shootout. At the start of the holiday weekend, Safiya Umerova picked up a second open bracelet for the ladies, defeating the UK’s Niall Farrell heads-up for her first WSOP bracelet.
– Event #51, $10k eight-handed PLO Championship. A familiar name to WSOP watchers won the $10k PLO event; Brandon Shack-Harris. Shack-Harris was a Player of the Year contender back in 2014 when he cashed seven times (nine if you include WSOP-AP) times, booked four Top 3 finishes, and won the $1,000 PLO event.
– Event #52, $3,000 No Limit Holdem tournament. Andrew “luckychewy” Lichtenberger can cross his name off the “best player without a bracelet” list after winning the $3k No limit Holdem event.
– Event #53, $1,500 PLO/PLO8/Big O tournament. Allan Le took down Event #53, besting a final table that included David Bach, Gavin Smith, and John Monnette, who’s probably the best tournament player you’ve never heard of, and putting together a terrific 2016 WSOP – more on this in a bit.
What to watch for today
– Event #54, $888 Crazy Eights 8-Handed No Limit Holdem tournament. After 6,761 entries, the Crazy Eights event is further proof that these gimmick events with smaller buy-ins is the way to go. Among the final 12 is former bracelet winner Loni Harwood, who could become the third female bracelet winner in the last eight events.
– Event #55, $50k Poker Players Championship. The slow-paced tournament is heading into Day 3, and 42 or the original 91 entrants are still in contention. Justin Bonomo is leading the way, but the chase pack includes Daniel Negreanu, Mike Mizrachi, Daniel Alaei, Brian Rast, Matt Glantz, Jason Mercier, Phil Hellmuth, and a slew of other big names.
– Event #56, $1,500 No Limit Holdem tournament. Drawing just 1,860 entrants, we may finally be seeing the end of the non-branded low buy-in NLHE tournament at the WSOP.
– Event #57, $1,500 PLO8 tournament. PLO8 events continue to draw well, as 732 players registered for the $1,500 tournament.
Live updates of today’s action can be found here.
A single tournament is scheduled to get underway today:
– Event #58, $1,000 No Limit Holdem with 30 minute levels.
WSOP News & Notes
– The previously mentioned John Monnette is quietly having another stellar WSOP series. Monnette has seven cashes, five of which are Top 9 finishes (2nd, 3rd, 7th, 9th, 9th).
– Andrew Brokos (of ThinkingPoker.net) found himself in a tough spot recently, as former WSOP CHamp and Full Tilt board member was moved to his table. Brokos, unsure what to do, ended up having an interaction that he recounts on his blog.
– The second of Marty Derbyshire’s “Five Thoughts” caused poker Twitter to enter DefCon 4, in what I think is one of the most overblown controversies we’ve seen in recent years – which is saying quite a bit.
You can follow the Twitter link below to see the poker community’s reaction:
— PokerNews (@PokerNews) July 2, 2016