WSOP Hit and Run: Poker Night Scandal Reignited; DFS Moves Toward Single Entry; How old is Phil Ivey?
Phil Ivey will not be eligible for the Poker Hall of Fame this year. Poker Night in America controversy has new legs. $10k Stud 8 lineup is one for the ages. And more.
Just a single bracelet was won on Sunday.
– Event #42, $3,000 No limit Holdem Shootout tournament. Philip McAllister from the UK took down the Shootout event, denying countryman Stephen Chidwick, as well as Maria Ho and Faraz Jaka a chance to win their first WSOP gold bracelet.
What to watch for today
– Event #41, $1,500 Monster Stack NLHE tournament. The 6,927 players who began the event several days ago have been reduced to just over 200, and among the chip leaders is poker media member and former bracelet winner (in the Casino employee tournament) Chad Holloway.
– Event #43, $10k Seven Card Stud 8 or better Championship. One of the toughest final 12’s you’ll ever see will be back in action today as Justin Bonomo, Todd Brunson, George Danzer, Scott Clements, Esther (E-Tay) Taylor-Brady, Randy Ohel, Roland Israelashvili (58 WSOP cashes), Jack Duong (a bracelet winner), Eli Elezra, David Benyamine, David Grey, and Mike Leah, are all in contention for the $10k Stub 8 title.
– Event #44, $1,000 No Limit Holdem tournament. 2,000 players were pared down to 200 on Day 1 of the latest $1k NLHE events.
– Event #45, $1,500 Mixed Omaha/Holdem tournament. An impressive turnout of 919 players has been reduced to 138 after a full day of play. There are a lot of big names still in the hunt.
Live updates of today’s action can be found here.
Two tournaments are scheduled to get underway today:
– Event #46, $1,500 No Limit Holdem Bounty tournament.
– Event #47, $10k 2-7 Triple Draw Championship.
WSOP News & Notes
– In what should be one of the least surprising tidbits we’ve ever posted, Jason Mercier is leading the WSOP Player of the Year race.
– In the same vein, a very unlikely person is challenging for a Top 10 spot on those rankings, Chris Ferguson.
– Blackjack researchers have found something very interesting about the eye movements of players based on the strength of their hand. The research could (stress, could) have implications for poker, but more work needs to be done before any conclusions can be reached.
– More anti-online-gambling op-eds are being penned for Pennsylvania publications, but the author remains the same.
– The Jaclyn Moskow, Nolan Dalla, Chris Hanson, Poker Night in America scandal was reignited this weekend following some mainstream press and new evidence coming to light. The new news was enough that even the thread at 2+2 was unlocked.