Historical breakdown of $10k Championship performances. Belgium’s Michael Gathy wins third career bracelet. Poker is back according to Jamie Gold. And more.
Two bracelets were handed out on Wednesday.
– Event #35, $5,000 Six-Max No Limit Holdem tournament. Belgium picked up a WSOP bracelet on Thursday, as Michael Gathy won the Six-Max NLHE tournament, after a heads-up duel with France’s Adrien Allain. This was Gathy’s third career bracelet, putting him on equal footing with Davidi Kitai for the most wins by a Belgian player – between them, the two have won all six of the country’s bracelets.
– Event #36, $2,500 Omaha8/Seven Card Stud 8 or better tournament. 65 year old Hani Awad made sure France finished second in back-to-back events by defeating Fabrice Soulier during heads up play to capture his first bracelet.
What to watch for today
– Event #33, $1,500 Summer Solstice No Limit Holdem tournament. The event that will not end! The Summer Solstice is down to just two players, with Adrian Mateos and Korey Aldimar battling for the bracelet.
– Event #37, $1,500 PLO tournament. At the time of writing, the final table is set, with Jaiqi Xu out in front.
– Event #38, $3,000 Six-Max No Limit Holdem tournament. Eight players will be back in action today with Limit Holdem specialist Matt Matros leading the way, and 2015 WSOP Champ Joe McKeehen in second place.
– Event #39, $10k Six-Handed No Limit Holdem Championship. Nearly 300 entrants have become 100 partway through Day 2 of this very prestigious event.
– Event #40, $2,500 Mixed triple Draw tournament. The oddball variant attracted a pretty decent field of 236 players, and as Day 2 soldiers on the field has been reduced to be about 60.
Live updates of today’s action can be found here.
Two more tournaments will get underway today:
– Event #41, $1,500 Monster Stack NLHE tournament.
– Event #42, $3,000 No limit Holdem Shootout tournament.
WSOP News & Notes
– Lance Bradley took a deep dive into the numbers to try to put Jason Mercier’s performances in $10k Championship events at the World Series of Poker into some perspective. Mercier is certainly one of the top performers in these events, but a few others may have even better records.
– 2006 World Series of poker Main Event Champion Jamie Gold made two bold statements in a recent interview with PokerListings.com. First, Gold declared “poker is back.” His second statement was even bolder, as he said “so am I.”
– Massachusetts is considering taking their wildly successful state lottery online. A bill that would authorize the state’s lottery commission to offer lottery, and potentially other games online recently passed in committee.
– Is PokerStars holding up online poker in California? The answer to that will vary based on your point of view, and which California tribe you side with.