WSOP Hit and Run: Brexit and Online Poker; Mercier in the Hunt for Bracelet #3; Poker’s Skillfulness
Jason Mercier and Ian Johns in contention for third bracelet of 2016. Skillfulness of poker questioned by NY lawmaker. Does the Brexit vote have online poker implications? And more.
Two bracelets were handed out on Wednesday.
– Event #32, the $10k Omaha 8 or better championship. Benny Glaser is the third player to win two WSOP bracelets in 2016 – the other two are Ian Johns and Jason Mercier. Both of Glaser’s wins came in Omaha 8 tournaments. Jason Mercier finished in 8th place.
– Event #34, $1,500 2-7 Triple Draw Lowball tournament. Andrey Zaichenko will be declaring a gold World Series of Poker bracelet (his first) at customs on his flight back to Russia.
What to watch for today
– Event #33, $1,500 Summer Solstice No Limit Holdem tournament. The tournament is down to just 17 players with Spain’s Adrien Mateos leading the way. But keep an eye on two high-profile short stacks, Chris Moorman and Kathy Liebert who could make some waves.
– Event #35, $5,000 Six-Max No Limit Holdem tournament. The returning 21 players who will be playing for the bracelet in this event are no joke. As you’ve got Jonathan Little, Thiago Nishijima, Jason Koon, Adrien Allain, Jake Schindler, Felix Stephensen, and Martin Finger, all still in the mix.
– Event #36, $2,500 Omaha8/Seven Card Stud 8 or better tournament. Nearly 400 entries have now been pared down to just 13, and guess who’s still in the hunt? Yup, Jason Mercier.
– Event #37, $1,500 PLO tournament. Day 2 of this popular tournament should see the field whittled down to a couple tables.
– Event #38, $3,000 Six-Max No Limit Holdem tournament. Turnout for this event was pretty disappointing , as just 245 players registered for the mid-priced tournament. Among the Day 1 chip leaders is Ian Johns, who is in search of his third bracelet of the summer.
Live updates of today’s action can be found here.
– Event #39, $10k Six-Handed No Limit Holdem Championship.
– Event #40, $2,500 Mixed triple Draw tournament.
Two more tournaments will get underway today:
WSOP News & Notes
– Yes, we’re still discussing the prop bet between Jason Mercier and Vanessa Selbst. This time Part Time Poker’s Alex Weldon takes a look at some of the details that probably should have been hashed out before the bet was agreed to.
– New York Assemblyman Gary Pretlow made some inflammatory comments about poker, claiming poker isn’t a game of skill, but DFS is. His comments led to a rash of rebuttals, including the one I posted this morning.
– What does the Brexit vote mean for the online gaming industry? Online Poker Report’s Joss Wood breaks down the potential implications the outcome of the vote could have.
– A massive €6,355,463.98 jackpot was hit on one of the Microgaming Network’s casino sites.