WSOP Hit and Run: 2 Bracelets Will Be Won Today; POY Details Revealed; PokerStars NJ Adds $10NL Zoom
Two final tables are on tap today at the 2016 WSOP. PokerStars NJ adds $10NL Zoom tables. The poker world is still trying to come to grips with the return of Chris Ferguson. And more.
No bracelets were handed out on Sunday, but two will be won today.
What to watch for today
– Event #2, Colossus II is down to just 77 players, and Monday will see the field reduced to nine.
– The final table of Event #3, the Seven Card Stud Championship is set, and leading the final six players is Robert Mizrachi, who’ll have to hold off David Benyamine, George Danzer, and Ted Forrest if he wants to pick up his fourth WSOP bracelet.
– The Final table of Event #4, the Top Up Turbo is also set, with several big names landing at the explosively quick event’s final table, including, Vinny Pahuja and Kyle Julius.
– Event #5, the $1,500 Dealer’s Choice tournament got underway on Sunday, and it’s 2008 Ladies Champion Svetlana Gromenkova who will take the chip lead into Day 2. Just 85 of the 389 entrants remain, and thhe field will be reduced to nine by the end of play today.
Live updates of today’s action can be found here.
Two more tournaments will get underway today:
- Event #6, a $1,500 No limit Holdem tournament.
- Event #7, a $1,500 No Limit 2-7 Lowball tournament
WSOP News & Notes
– The poker world is still talking about the surprise appearance of Chris Ferguson in the $10k Seven Card Stud Championship, including the newest addition to the Part Time Poker team, Valeria Stephens, who took a look at what Ferguson’s return could mean for poker players. For a different take, here’s what I wrote on the subject.
– Details on the 2016 WSOP Player of the Year award (once again powered by the Global Poker Index) have been revealed, and thanks to several tweaks, by and large there are very few complaints compared to last year.
– Donnie Peters takes a look at the 11 fantasy teams that were assembled by poker players and members of the poker media in Daniel Negreanu’s $25k Fantasy Draft.
– PokerStars has added $10NL Zoom games in New Jersey. Even more limits could be added if liquidity constraints due to the smallness New Jersey market don’t rear their head.
– Jeff Gross is the latest poker pro to land a sponsorship deal, as the longtime poker player will be repping 888 at the 2016 WSOP and perhaps beyond.
– New Jersey Assemblyman Ralph Caputo has put forth an interesting bill that would require the state’s online gaming sites to prominently display the logo of the brick and mortar casino they’re affiliated with on their websites and in all advertising.