The Stars Group relying less on PokerStars. WPT Montreal down to the final table. Check out these stories and more in the Wednesday Hit and Run.
Share of The Stars Group Poker Revenue Declining
Poker has long dominated PokerStars’ business, but the last few years has seen a gradual swing to non-poker products at the world’s largest poker room. The Stars Group, the parent company of PokerStars has seen revenue shift towards sports betting and casino games.
Poker still comprises of 67% of The Stars Group’s business. In fact, poker grew 13% over the last year but compared in comparision to the 48% online sportsbook and casino games grew.
PokerStars expects the trend to continue with marketing being scaled back for online poker. Executives for The Stars Group would like to grow the company through further acquistion which could see the company purchasing a big company or a handful of smaller companiesi.
WPT Montreal Down to Final Table
Patrick Quinn has the chip lead in the World Tour Poker Montreal Main Event with six players remaining. Among those making the final table are former champion Eric Afriat and David Peters.
A winner of WPT Montreal will be crowned on Thursday night.
– More drama in the Matt Kirk/Leon Tsoukernik “I was drunk” case as Kirk has filed a motion to dismiss the $10 million Tsoukernik’s counterclaim.
– TonyG-backed CoinPoker, a cyrptocurrency based poker room will be launching a pre-ICO (pre-Initial Coin Offering) at SpectroCoin starting this Thursday and running through December 1st. The new poker room promises improved transaction times and eliminating payment issues.
– New Jersey online gambling has set an annual record for annual revenue in 2017 with two months left to go. Through October, New Jersey online gambling has generated $200 million in revenue. While online casinos say a 30% increase over the last year, poker was down over 19% during the same time last year.
– The United Kingdom Gambling Commission has released its strategy for regulating online gambling over the next few years. Among the items addressed in the report is tackling the issue of player trust and raising standards.
– Grinderschool.com poker training video of the day is a continuation of Professional SNG series. Episode 9 of 10 is a live session of full ring and 6-handed.