Molly’s Game is released to a select number of theaters before January 5th release. The poker world looks at the top stories of 2017. Find these stories and more in the Tuesday Hit and Run.
Molly’s Game Generates $1 Million on Christmas Day
Molly’s Game was released on Christmas Day in a limited release of 271 theaters where it generated just over $1 million during the day. The poker movie has so far received a respectable 81% Rotten Tomatoes score with 87% of audience members on the site liking the movie thus far.
The movie stars Jessica Chastain, who plays Molly Bloom, who ran exclusive high stakes poker games in Los Angeles and California around a decade ago.
Check out the the theatrical trailer of Molly’s Game below. If the movie isn’t yet playing in your area, it will be released everywhere on January 5th.
In a recent interview the real Molly Bloom said that she saw one poker player lose $100 million in a night.
– Late December is a very slow time for major tournaments, but there are a few on the horizon after the new year. Notably, the PokerStars PCA will be held from January 6th to January 14th with the $10,300 Main Event slated for January 8th to 14th.
Meanwhile, the World Poker Tour will kick off in 2018 with a stop in Berlin from January 5th to January 15th.
– If you’re looking to watch some poker over the Holidays, check out Comics Playing Cards with Bill Burr, Al Madrigal, Jay Larson, Bobby Lee and Eddie Pepitone.
– With the end of the year approaching, it’s time to take a look at the year that was 2017 in poker. PokerStrategy’s Barry Carter takes a look at some of the biggest stories during 2017.
Meanwhile, PokerNews posts their list of top Twitch clips during the year.
– Daniel “Jungleman” Cates talks Game Theory Optimal Poker in a recent video with Paul Phua’s Poker School.
– Grinderschool.com classic poker training video of the day is a revisit of the “Loosey Goosey” series, which examines how the game changes when you play more hands in PLO. In episode 1, CFTheNatural plays 30% of hands.