Hit and Run: WSOPE Main Event Final Attendance; StarsDraft Abandons 46 States; GPL News & Notes
The 2015 World Series of Poker Europe Main Event attracted over 300 players. StarsDraft makes an unprecedented decision and ceases offering real money DFS in all but four “safe” states. More info on the Global Poker League.
Recap of WSOP Europe Main Event
Event #9: Day 1a of the World Series of Poker Europe Main Event attracted 109 players on Sunday – 57 of whom made it through to Tuesday’s Day 2. At the time of writing (registration is open until the start of Day 2), 206 people showed up for Day 1b of the tournament on Monday.
A few more players will likely register before all is said and done, but overall, this is a huge drop from previous years:
- 2007: 362
- 2008: 362
- 2009: 334
- 2010: 346
- 2011: 593
- 2012: 420
- 2013: 375
- 2014: The WSOP Europe was changed to a biannual event
- 2015: 315 and counting
Upcoming: The High Roller tournament (the final event of the series) gets underway on Wednesday.
More updates available at WSOP.com live reporting.
StarsDraft Withdraws from all but four states
In a somewhat shocking move, StarsDraft, the daily fantasy sports site owned by PokerStars’ parent company Amaya Gaming, has decided to preemptively leave all gray U.S. markets. From here on out (or until legislation is passed) StarsDraft will only operate in four states:
- New Jersey
Legal Sports Report has more details on this very interesting development.
– The Global Poker League draft will take place in conjunction with the American Poker Awards in February.
– An external review by a law firm hired by DraftKings has concluded that Ethan Haskell DID NOT use inside information to gain an edge at rival site FanDuel. You may recall Haskell is the employee who accidentally posted ownership percentages before contests were locked at DraftKings.
– Bovada’s “fairness” is called into question by a very long column (like insanely long) by researchers. Who the researchers were hired by is one of the unanswered questions people have concerning the accusations.
– Check out the latest installment of the Forum Files. This week Alex Weldon takes a look at several interesting topics ranging from the scheduling change at the WSOPE to accusations of unpaid Open Faced Chinese debts.
– PKR Poker has decided to disband its Team Pro, sating the concept no longer fits with their business model.
– Olivier Busquet and JC Alvarado will have an MMA style fight with the winner reviving a six-figure payday from the loser.