Hit and Run: US iGaming Pessimism Overblown; GPL Power Rankings; Online Poker Coming to Poland?
Slow down on the online gaming obituaries. Poland starts the process to legalize online poker. Daniel Cates wins the PokerStars Sunday 500. And more.
Hopes fading for online gaming expansion in 2016
Online gaming expansion in the U.S. is starting to look pretty bleak, but according to Chris Grove, even though things are trending down, all hope is not yet lost.
Through his sources Grove was able to temper the pessimism caused by New York Assemblyman Gary Pretlow’s statements to the iGaming North America conference, where he gave 100-to-1 odds on an online poker bill passing this year. According to Grove, the situation is not as dire as the Assemblyman made it out to be.
Beyond New York, it looks worse in California and Pennsylvania than it did just a few weeks ago, and with legislative deadlines fast approaching, we may soon be taking up the “there’s always next year” chants relatively soon.
– Is Poland ready to legalize online poker? According to PokerNews.com’s Jason Glatzer, the country’s parliament is expected to start the process in the very near future.
– The second installment of USA Today’s Global Poker League Power Rankings has been posted (for the Eurasia Conference) and while there is a tie at the top between the London Royals and the Paris Aviators, it’s the rise of the Hong Kong Stars that has drawn the most attention.
– Fresh off his somewhat controversial appearance on the Global Poker League, Dan Cates was back in more familiar environs – online poker – and managed to win the PokerStars Sunday 500. He also found the time to needle his GPL opponent ElkY, where he effectively did the 2016 version of “Heads Up for Rollz!”
– Before you run around quoting the numbers from the New Jersey Division of Gaming online revenue reports you should read this column, which will provide you with a better understanding of how and why the revenue numbers fluctuate from month-to-month.
– The nominees for the GPI European Poker Awards have been announced – check them out here.