The iconic Atlantic City casino, Trump Taj Mahal will go offline on Monday. Aaron Paul took on Jonathan Jaffe in GPL action. 888 partners with WSOPC. And more.
Trump Taj Mahal is closing on Monday
Casino closures in Atlantic City have been regular occurrences over the past couple years, but when the Trump Taj Mahal closes on Monday it will be a bit different than the closures of Showboat, Atlantic Club, Revel, or Trump Plaza that occurred over the course of 2014.
The Taj Mahal was different; iconic.
Once the crown jewel of Atlantic City thanks to its opulence, the Taj Mahal poker room was THE place to play poker on the East Coast until Borgata supplanted it at the beginning of the poker boom. The Taj will also forever be remembered by poker players as the location for several memorable scenes in the movie Rounders.
But The Taj Mahal has fallen on hard times in recent years, and even a lifeline thrown by Carl Icahn was unable to save the property when Icahn and the local unions were unable to reach a labor agreement.
– Two separate Supreme Court appeals have been filed in the ongoing saga that is the New Jersey sports betting case. The appeals were filed by the New Jersey Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association and New Jersey Governor Chris Christie. The chances that the SCOTUS hears either of these cases is a long shot, and according to most legal analysts, even if the SCOTUS does hear the case, overturning the Third Circuit’s ruling is unlikely.
– Speaking of sports betting bans in the U.S., Pala Interactive is the second online gaming company in the United States that is giving Virtual Sports a go as an alternative to sports betting.
– 888 Poker Ambassador Sofia Lovgren talked to PocketFives.com’s Jess Welman about playing in large-field, small(er) buy-in live poker tournaments. Lovgren had deep runs in both the Millionaire Maker and Colossus events at the 2016 World Series of Poker.
– Breaking Bad actor and poker enthusiast Aaron Paul made his second Global Poker League appearance this past week. Paul took on poker pro Jonathan Jaffe this time around. Here’s a recap of how the match went down.
– 888 Poker has teamed up with the World Series of Poker Circuit Series in a deal that will see 888 run online satellites into two different international WSOPC events.
– Poker player Stephen Reynolds posted on the 2+2 forum this week, accusing Betfair of freezing his account and refusing to pay him the $250 or so that is in his account.