New effort to sneak RAWA through Congress is underfoot. McDonald edges out O’Dwyer for EPT POY. Women in Poker HOF voting is underway. And more.
RAWA sneak attack
After a pair of failed hearings, and a complete inability to gin up any support, it appears RAWA advocates have thrown their hands up in the air and accepted defeat after falling on their face time and time again.
They’re actually trying to attach the federal online gambling to a piece of must-pass legislation according to watchdog groups.
This seems like an extreme long shot (it’s no longer 2006 and online gaming legislation doesn’t fall through cracks anymore), but it’s still important for the poker community to remain vigilant, and guard against these covert efforts.
– Voting for the 2016 Women in Poker Hall of Fame is now underway, and this time around there are seven extremely worthy finalists: Karina Jett, Jennifer Tilly, Victoria Coren Mitchell, Debbie Burkhead, Mandy Glogow, Shirley Rosario, and Esther Rossi. You can cast your vote here.
– Calvin Ayre appeared in the Panama Papers, which led to an NBC News “hit piece,” using Ayre’s own words from his social media account, about his current lifestyle.
– The 2016 California State Poker Championships have begun. They are taking place at Commerce Casino in los Angeles.
– Shaun Deeb got off to a fast start in the 2016 PokerStars SCOOP series. The online poker legend final tabled two tournaments on the first day of the series.
– California’s Garden’s Casino just wrapped up a $90 million expansion project that doubled the square footage of the southern California card room.
– Alex Weldon takes a look at what likely happened at PokerStars to trigger the recent refunds. His best guess, a Spin & Go collusion ring was thwarted by Stars security team.