Hit and Run: Poker and Hollywood; DFS Called Out; Borgata Posts iGaming Profits
Not one but two articles are published on Wednesday linking poker to Hollywood. DFS gets a bit of the woodshed treatment. Is Daniel Negreanu going to be an NHL owner? And more.
Hey DFS, stop it. Just stop it.
Industry veteran John Mehaffey decided to say what a lot of people have been thinking in his latest column at US Poker, titled, “Stop Pretending Fantasy Sports Isn’t Gambling.”
Mehaffey explains what gambling is (in his opinion) before explaining away many of the arguments DFS advocates use to try to create division between DFS and traditional forms of gambling.
Regardless of what side of this debate you fall on, Mehaffey makes some intriguing points.
Poker actors and movie scenes
Coincidence? On Wednesday two random stories (listicles) connected the poker world with Hollywood, as Poker Update decided to list their seven favorite poker playing actors/celebrities, and across the Internet Poker Strategy listed their top five poker movie scenes of all time.
Somehow only one Rounders scene made the cut, and I felt personally deflated when I realized the opening scene in California Split was missing.
Or this scene on reading a table:
And what about Maverick? Where are the maverick scenes! It was still a good list though.
– Part Time Poker’s Alex Weldon appeared on the Thinking Poker Podcast to talk poker and games. Give it a listen here.
– Four straight profitable quarters for Borgata have iGaming analysts smiling.
– Jason Brin denies Darren Elias his third WPT title at the WPT Choctaw Main Event – Elias finished 3rd.
– Is Daniel Negreanu trying to become a part owner of an NHL team? Comments he made to the Toronto Sun seem to hint at just that.
– Amaya’s latest earnings call details divestments of assets as the company continues to restructure its debt obligations.
– Don’t forget, this week is Responsible Gambling Week!