Hit and Run: Phil Galfond Is Launching an Online Poker Site; PokerStars Duel; Cali Online Poker Bill Dead
Phil Galfond starting an online poker site. PokerStars has a new online poker show called Duel. David Einhorn purchased $4 million worth of Amaya stock. And more.
Galfond’s online poker site
Phil Galfond made a huge announcement on his RunItOnce.com blog this morning.
Out of the blue, Galfond posted what amounts to a poker site manifesto, titled “A Poker Site Should,” that ends with the online poker legend announcing he’ll be launching his own online poker room in Q1 of 2017.
Not much is known about Galfond’s project, or even when his goals are. Hopefully more details will come to light in the coming days and weeks.
Based on Galfond’s announcement, the impetus for the site seems to be his desire to provide an alternative to what many feel are increasingly corporate-minded poker sites like PokerStars, which has made radical changes to their VIP system, rake, and even live events in the past couple of years.
Needless to say, these changes haven’t sat well with many serious poker players.
Above all, Galfond calls for fairness, and notes at the beginning:
“It should value the casual player for the money he’s willing to put on the line to play a game he loves. For choosing poker over other hobbies, and for choosing their site over other sites.
“It should value the enthusiast and semi-professional for the liquidity they provide and for growing the game. For spreading the word, across different mediums, about their favorite site.
“It should value the professional for embodying the dream that brings so many people to poker. For proving that poker is a game of skill. For promoting the game of poker to their fans, students, followers or subscribers.
“A poker site needs to believe in the dream of poker as a career. It shouldn’t cater to professionals over other players, but it must make every policy change with the viability of the dream in mind.”
– Speaking of PokerStars, the company has launched a new online poker show that will pit celebrities in heads-up matches against one another. The show, called Duel, is a pretty interesting concept, and it appears PokerStars has the celebrity firepower to pull it off, as the contestants will be Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar Jr, John Boyega from Star Wars, Breaking Bad star Aaron Paul, Victoria Secrets angel Sara Sampaio, and 2015 Miss World Mireia Lalaguna Royo.
– Despite its naysayers, David Einhorn is apparently pretty bullish on Amaya stock, as the investor and sometimes poker player has reportedly snapped up about $4 million worth of Amaya shares.
– One of the longest running poker media outlets, Poker Players Newspaper, is up for sale.
– PokerNews.com’s non-scientific polling of the poker community has determined that most people in the poker community are optimistic about the newly branded PokerStars Festival and PokerStars Championship events.
– This story should come as no surprise to anyone, but California’s online poker bill is officially dead for 2016.