Hit and Run: Normandie Casino fined; Aussie Millions Main Event; More GPL Details Revealed
Aussie Millions Main Event underway. The Global Poker League reveals player compensation details. Normandie Casino fined $2.4 million for AML failures. And more.
Aussie Million Main Event best attendance since 2010
Before I get to the Main Event of the Aussie Millions tournament series, take a quick look at the final six players in the $100k Challenge:
- Connor Drinan
- Fedor Holz
- Jason Mercier
- Sam Greenwood
- Fabian Quoss
- Ben Tollerene
In order to allow players to participate in the Main Event, the winner of this murderer’s row final table won’t be decided until Saturday.
Ok, so on to the Main Event. After three starting flights, the Aussie Millions Main Event has tallied well over 700 entrants (721 at last count), the most since 2010 and the fourth largest field in the event’s history – registration is still open into Day 2.
Here’s how 2016 stacks up against the previous six years:
- 2010: 746
- 2011: 721
- 2012: 659
- 2013: 629
- 2014: 668
- 2015: 648
- 2016: 726 and counting
For the latest updates from the Aussie Millions you can head over to the PokerNews live reporting page.
– The debut of the Global Poker League is fast approaching, and slowly but surely more information is trickling out. The latest details to come to light is the compensation packages players selected to participate in the GPL will receive.
– The Normandie Casino was hit with some massive fines after an investigation by the DOJ showed the casino wasn’t in compliance with anti-money laundering procedures. The card room will have to pay a $2.4 million fine.
– We have a very morbid story coming out of Puerto Rico, as a poker enthusiast’s friends and family decided it would be a good idea to embalm the young man and prop him up at a poker table (where other people were playing) for his funeral.
– Alex Weldon goes beyond poker, in his latest Part Time Poker column, as he examines a crossover product designed by German game designer Rainer Knizia, called Deck Buster.
– Maria Ho sat down with Poker Listings to talk about her Global Poker League team, the Los Angeles Sunset. Maria is the team manager and will be responsible for assembling the team through the GPL draft and choosing who plays in different events.
– An omnibus approach to online gaming legalization and regulation is being floated in several states, but does combining several somewhat controversial pieces of legislation have any chance of actually passing?