Hit and Run: Michigan Online Gambling Hearing; Weekend Online Tournament Recap; GPL Thoughts
Michigan jumps head first into the online gambling conversation. Some opinions on the Global Poker League. Sportsbooks dislike Leicester City’s historic EPL win. And more.
Michigan online gambling hearing tomorrow
Well, that escalated rather quickly.
Just a couple weeks after State Senator Mike Kowall introduced an online gambling bill (virtually out of nowhere) in the Michigan State Senate, a bicameral committee made up of Michigan House and Senate members will hold a hearing on the bill tomorrow.
Michigan is a bit of a mystery for online gaming analysts, but the general feeling is the state doesn’t have too many hurdles to clear, and could jump right into the lead pack of potential online gambling candidates. Of course, we’ll have a much clearer picture of the situation in Michigan following tomorrow’s hearing.
– PocketFives.com has a complete recap of the weekend’s big online tournaments from around the globe.
– Fabian Quoss kept Ole Schemion out of the winner’s circle in the €50k Super High Roller at the EPT Grand Final in Monte Carlo. Schemion won the €100k Super High Roller event just days ago.
– In the latest installment of the Forum Files it’s all about popularity, as several recent threads clearly show the polarizing aspect of poker forums. Bottom line: be Kevmath, everyone loves Kevmath.
– Part Time Poker’s Alex Weldon takes a look at Poker Central’s $1,000,000 promotion, and explains why people would be better off shooting for some of the lesser prizes.
– Leicester City’s unbelievable EPL victory cost bookmakers quite a bit, as some people had the foresight to throw a few bucks down on the team (getting 5,000-1 odds) before the season began.
– Mike “Gags30” Gagliano had a very nice week on the felt (the real and the virtual) as he won the $50k guaranteed at partypoker NJ and finished third at the Borgata Spring Poker Open.
– In a new blog post, poker player Dara O’Kearney offers up his thoughts on the Global Poker League, particularly when it comes to the league’s ability to connect with a new audience and expand the reach of poker.