Iyisinabi wins a special PokerStars Monday Million. Also, do recently launched poker sites stand a chance? Check these stories and more in the post-Christmas Hit and Run.
PokerStars Holds a Special Monday Million Event, Draws Over 23,000
Although most of the live poker scene takes a breath during the Holidays, online the game soldiers on with a PokerStars tradition, the PokerStars Million, taking most of the spotlight.
With Christmas falling on a Sunday this year, the Sunday Million was postponed for a day and the prize pool doubled to $2 million. A total of 23,697 players entered the special Monday event and easily broke through the guarantee by generating $4,739,400 in prizes.
The top 3,941 places were paid on Monday’s event with the final table set at 4 AM ET. Once the field was whittled down to four, a deal was struck where iyisinabi was guaranteed $400,000, $70k extra was given to third place and $97k extra for second place. Another $40,000 would be given to whoever the winner of the tournament. After the rest of the tournament was played out, iyisinabi took home the win.
Here was the final nine:
1. iyisinabi (Germany) $440,000.85
2. ohanaaa (Brazil) $312,000
3. kopakabritu (Brazil) $291,000.66
4. vedholm (Norway) $218,930.34
5. MADnesS100 (Romania) $129,333.01
6. psycho_ginga (New Zealand) $92,991.29
7. Ospinav (Colombia) $66,861.55
8. Di Klu (Russia) $48,073.62
9. Mars161 (Russia) $34,565.39
– 2016 was a disappointing year for Pennsylvania gambling progress, but the Pennsylvanian State Senate is looking to hit the ground running with a January 3rd meeting. Officials from the state’s 12 casinos will convene to discuss a variety of issues including online gambling.
– Poker pros are launching new online poker sites, but do they stand a chance in the current climate? PokerUpdate takes a look at the challenge these poker rooms face in a world where a single site dominates 3/4 of the online poker traffic.