Hit and Run: GPL Has a Woman Problem; partypoker NJ GSSS III; Selbst Charity Poker Event a Rousing Success
Melissa Burr fights for women to be treated fairly in poker. Online gambling still on the table in Pennsylvania. Vanessa Selbst raises $160k for charity. And more.
Melissa Burr vs. the GPL
Poker pro Melissa Burr noticed a subtle categorization of the likely players in the Global Poker League by Alex Dreyfus. Here is the line that irked Melissa:
“I want to see six guys versus six guys raging against each other,” Dreyfus said.
Dreyfus indicated that the quote is not necessarily in context and feels that his statements are being misrepresented, but his explanation didn’t seem to quell the heat was taking from Burr and others, who have been dealing with this type of attitude towards women in poker for decades. It’s unfortunate for Dreyfus, but the words we choose to use do have consequences.
— Vanessa Selbst (@VanessaSelbst) October 8, 2015
– A preview of the Garden State Super Series III by New Jersey resident and poker writer Robert DellaFave.
– Another edition of Presidential Poker is up at Poker Update, see which candidates have moved up and down the faux tournament leaderboard.
– Twitcher Jamie Staples is the latest poker pro to auction of shares of himself, and like the other pros who have gone this route, shares in Stapes have gone through the roof.
– It looks like online gambling expansion is still in play in Pennsylvania, as the governor’s budget was defeated handily in the legislature, which led to calls for “outside the box” thinking, including online gambling.
– Vanessa Selbst hosted a charity poker event called Blinds & Justice on Wednesday night. The event raised $160,000 for the Urban Justice Center. In addition to Selbst, Daniel Negreanu, Erik Seidel, and Andy Frankenberger, all turned up along with a number of other known poker pros and celebrities.