Hit and Run: Fedor Holz Wins Again; Best Country for Online Poker Pros; Massachusetts Lottery Going Online?
Fedor Holz is crushing super-high-roller tournaments. Massachusetts Lottery exploring online options. Player backlash against PokerStars continues in the new year.
Fedor Holz is on a Dan Colman-esque heater
Fedor Holz is on a high-roller tournament run not seen since Dan Colman’s remarkable $22 million year in 2014.
With his most recent victory, Holz became the first tournament player to cross the seven-figure mark in earnings in 2016 (actually, the second and third place finishers, David Peters and Devan Tang, technically crossed the $1,000,000 mark before Holz), when the young German pro won the oddly named, $200k buy-in Triton Super High Roller Cali Cup event on Monday, pocketing $3.4 million just a few weeks after he won the $100k buy-in WPT Alpha8 tournament at Bellagio for $1.6 million. That’s $5 million in less than a month for those keeping score.
Holz has become one of the most feared and respected tournament players in just a few short years. Since making his first cash in September of 2012 the poker prodigy has amassed over $7 million in career tournament earnings according to his Hendon Mob page.
– California isn’t the only state that will take a look at comprehensive online gaming expansion in 2016, as the Massachusetts Lottery has begun the process of accepting proposals from online gaming providers.
– In our latest installment of the Forum Files PTP’s Alex Weldon takes a look at the continued backlash against PokerStars and what the community’s next move will be.
– Does PokerStars have an ownership stake in PokerNews.com? Several reports seem to indicate that maybe the two companies are linked, although there is no real evidence confirming this rumor.
– All-In Magazine examines the charitable power of poker, and why the game is such an excellent fundraising vehicle.
– James Guill throws a bucket of cold water on some of the predictions poker commentators (including myself) have made regarding online poker expansion and other poker-related predictions in 2016.
– What are the best countries to call home if you’re an online poker grinder? PocketFives has the answers.
– Alex Dreyfus makes light of his appearance on Joey Ingram’s Poker Life Podcast having the least amount of views on YouTube, but as Ingram noted, this is almost certainly due to his listeners not caring much about the industry side of things.
@alex_dreyfus I think it means poker players don't really care very much about the business side of the poker world
— Apex Papi ♠️♥️♣️ (@Joeingram1) January 4, 2016