Antonio Esfandiari disqualified from the PCA for the strangest of reasons. The conclusion of our look back at the 25 biggest poker stories of 2015. Interview with ElkY. And more.
Prop bet leads to tournament DQ
We’re only 11 days into 2016 but we already have an extremely difficult bar to surpass for the prop bet of the year, and a solid contender for greatest prop bet of all time, thanks to Antonio Esfandiari and Bill Perkins. The paur, who are no strangers to prop bets, entered into a agreement that required Esfandiari to lunge (the exercise) instead of walking wherever he went for two days.
However it wasn’t the prop bet itself (it was rather pedestrian for the poker world if we’re being honest) that makes this one an all-timer, it was, as Brad Willis so eloquently explains, an unexpected consequence of the bet that will see it go down in poker lore, as Antonio’s inability to walk towards the tail-end of the 48-hour bet led him into the land of absurdity, and caused his disqualification from the PCA Main Event.
– The final installment in our countdown of the 25 biggest poker stories of 2015 covers Daniel Negreanu’s WSOP Main Event elimination; Joe McKeehen’s domination; the closure of Bluff Magazine; remembering the passing of some of poker’s best; and the VIP changes at PokerStars.
– Alex Weldon can usually find a common theme to connect the big forum threads of the week, but not so when it comes to this week’s installment of the Forum Files, where the topics are many and disparate.
– Robbie Starzynski continues to sit down with the biggest names in poker at the PCA, this time landing an interview with Triple Crown winner/eSport player Bertrand “ElkY” Grospellier.
– A group of tribes in California wants to know why DFS has leapfrogged online poker in terms of importance in the legislature, but is the online poker situation in the Golden State as hopeless as it looks?
– Amaya Gaming has appointed the Crispin Porter and Bogusky (CP&B) London creative and strategic agency to oversee the launch of their sports betting website, BetStars.
– The iPoker Network has reclaimed the #3 spot in PokerScout.com’s global online poker traffic rankings from Bovada.