Hit and Run: Call to Action in PA; Mason Malmuth Discusses Poker Ecology; Is Moneymaker HOF Worthy?
Fate of online gambling in Pennsylvania will be decided soon. Mason Malmuth talks poker ecology. QOTD: Is Chris Moneymaker a Poker Hall of Famer? And more.
Pennsylvania is on the clock
If the poker community ever needed to make their voice heard it’s now.
The Pennsylvania Senate will soon decide the fate of online gambling in the Keystone State, and supporters of passing the bill are currently rallying support in what amounts to a call to action.
I recently spoke with Pennsylvania State Representative Rosita Youngblood, who introduced the bill the Senate is currently considering, and while she’s optimistic about its chances, it’s clear that not passing the bill this fall would be a major setback in the process.
“The impact of PA passing or not passing online gambling regulation could reverberate beyond the Keystone State. Since New Jersey, Nevada and Delaware legalizing online gambling and/or poker a few years ago, there have been no new laws passed.
“So the crossroads for online gambling is not just for PA, but it could be for efforts around the country.
“Those are pretty high stakes. And nine days this fall could determine what happens next.”
– Another PokerNews.com debate has been posted (have I mentioned how much I like this format?), with Mo and Marty diving headfirst into the, “is Chris Moneymaker a Poker Hall of Famer” debate.
– Speaking of Moneymaker, PokerNewsDaily.com landed an interview with the 2003 WSOP Main Event Champion to get his thoughts on being a finalist for the Poker Hall of Fame. Poker News Daily also spoke with Matt Savage, who finds himself on the list of finalists for the second consecutive year.
– More details on Phil Galfond’s planned online poker site are trickling out, as Galfond is soliciting volunteers to serve on what he’s calling a Player’s Council.
– Mason Malmuth has waded into the very contentious poker ecology debate with a post on 2+2, along with a publisher’s note in this month’s issue of TwoPlusTwo Magazine on the same topic. I broke down Mason’s suggestions point by point in an article posted this weekend, and for the most part I agree with Mason, even though the suggestions are largely unpopular among poker players.
– After a six-figure runner-up finish in a recent World Series of Poker Circuit Main Event, Eli Elezra (another 2016 Poker Hall of Fame finalist) won one of the preliminary events at the Borgata Poker Open.