SHRPO Champions crowned. California online poker bill tweaked one week before hearing. Mississippi and Tennessee legislatures pass DFS bills. And more.
Excitement at WPT Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown
Longtime poker Justin Young won his first World Poker Title yesterday, as he triumphed over a very tough final table to win the 2016 Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown in Florida. Among the final table participants were Garrett Greer, Matt Haugen, and Tim Reilly.
- Justin Young – $669,161
- Garrett Greer – $458,722
- Hyoung Chae – $297,336
- Matt Haugen – $220,207
- Tim Reilly – $164,113
- Ben Tarzia – $132,560
Cate Hall finished 9th, narrowly missing out on the WPT Player of the Year award.
Speaking of the WPT SHRPO, a controversial satellite incident that we’ve been chronicling here at PartTimePoker.com (more to come by the way) may have grabbed all the headlines, but the $25k High Roller tournament was also a pretty big deal too, as 94 players registered for the event, which was won by David Malka, who pocketed $658k for the win.
– California’s online poker bill was recently amended, just a week before a scheduled hearing. Assemblyman Adam Gray added some “impartial language” on suitability to his bill, in an attempt to placate the coalition of tribes opposing PokerStars.
– The Mississippi and Tennessee legislatures both passed daily fantasy sports bills on Tuesday. The bills are likely to be signed by the governors, and represent a clear cut victory for the DFS industry.
– Everest Poker will be shutting down and merging with BetClic in France according to uk.PokerNews.com.
– The New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement has released a Director’s Advisory Bulletin as it tries to clarify the difference between black and gray markets, and explain their suitability standards for such operators.
– JC Alvarado and Olivier Busquet will finally throw down this evening. You can watch the six-figure MMA bout on a live stream, or you can just follow social media, as so much money has bet on this fight in the poker community it will rival a Conor McGregor fight on Poker Twitter.