Comprehensive list of failed online poker sites. Brian Rast challenges Sheldon Adelson to poker match. Gala Coral and Ladbrokes merger approved with stipulation. And more.
Brian Rast challenges Sheldon Adelson to a poker game
Brian Rast has not taken Sheldon Adelson’s recent comments about poker with a grain of salt. Instead, Rast has decided to challenge Adelson to a heads-up match for $2 million.
Hey Sheldon Adelson, waz up? Poker is a skill game. Don't believe me? You're a billionaire, I'm not close. Let's play HU 4 2 million each.
— Brian Rast (@tsarrast) September 10, 2016
There’s only one problem, Rast is challenging Adelson to defend a position the casino magnate never adopted, as I explain in this column. Adelson may downplay the amount of skill involved in poker (and he’s made some derogatory remarks about poker players over the years) but he never actually says poker doesn’t have skill to it.
– The August numbers are out, and once again the New Jersey online casino market posted solid year-over-year gains, with the final tally in August eclipsing $16 million, despite only four weekends in the month.
– UK Regulators have agreed to the mega-merger between Gala Coral and Ladbrokes provided the two companies sell off some 350-400 betting shops – which represents about 10% of the combined number of shops the two companies currently operate.
– The 14th installment of the Borgata Poker Open will kick off next week. The 19 event tournament series will culminate with a $3,500 buy-in $3 million guarantee Main Event. You can find more details on the series here.
– Speaking of the WPT, the company recently launched a pretty cool social poker product, the software is pretty solid and there are quite a few ways to level up in the game and unlock some in-game items.
– John Mehaffey has updated the failed online gaming sites list here. The list is very extensive, but Mehaffey noted on Twitter it’s still not complete, and considering the industry’s history, will likely continue to grow.