Hit and Run: 3 Online Poker Series in NJ This Month; Poker Hall of Fame Inductees; MA iGaming Omnibus
The 2016 Poker Hall of Fame class announced, Mortensen and Brunson get the call. Jared Bleznick talks to ESPN about poker hate. NJ Online tournament series. And more.
Poker Hall of Fame Class of 2016 revealed
The Poker Hall of Fame has announced Carlos Mortensen and Todd Brunson as the two people that will be inducted into the Hall of Fame later this month.
One nominee who many people consider to be a snub was Chris Moneymaker.
— Paul Oresteen (@PaulOresteen) October 13, 2016
Both men commented on receiving poker’s biggest honor in a press release issued by WSOP.com.
“It’s a true honor to be inducted by my peers into this prestigious institution,” Brunson said in the press release. “I literally grew up attending these ceremonies and have always respected and admired its members. To join their ranks is the honor of a lifetime.”
“I have been playing poker professionally for more than 20 years,” Mortensen said. “This game has given me so many things that I have come to cherish. I’ve always wanted to be included among the great players who make up the Poker Hall of Fame. To be included with the legends makes me very happy. I want to thank my friends, the poker fans, and all the people who vote for me. I take this honor very seriously.”
– Jared Bleznick is a polarizing figure in the poker world. Bleznick gets a lot of hate from 2+2, but it appears the feeling is somewhat mutual, considering his thoughts on the poker world during a WSOP episode he was recently featured in.
In part, Bleznick said, “Honestly, I don’t like a lot of the people that are involved in poker…you know, poker is a… it’s a very selfish game and I would say a lot of the people I don’t really get along great with because everyone’s just about themselves… but for the most part, I like a lot about the game.”
– If you’re a US online poker player you’re probably in or heading to New Jersey this month. A total of three tournament series are taking place in the Garden State during October. There is the partypoker/Borgata Garden State Super Series V; WSOP.com’s Fall Poker Festival; and PokerStars inaugural NJCOOP, which will take place right before the first PokerStars Festival takes place at Resorts Casino.
– David “Viffer” Peat and Shaun Deeb got into a little Twitter spat about… surprise… surprise… a disagreement over an alleged debt.
– Online poker is on the decline. Online poker is dead. Online poker is losing ground to casinos and sports betting. These are all typical headlines in the year 2016, but as I explain in this column, it shouldn’t be all doom and gloom.
– Massachusetts is exploring its online gambling options, and one of the approaches the state is considering is an omnibus approach to both its products and the way it regulates different forms of online gambling.