Dan Smith wins the WPT 5 Diamond $100k Super High Roller at the Bellagio. Oral arguments heard in the Supreme Court sports betting case. Check out these stories and more in the Monday Hit and Run.
Dan Smith Wins WPT 5 Diamond $100k Super High Roller
Over the weekend, Dan Smith beat a field of 39 to win $1.4 million at the Bellagio $100,000 2017 Five Diamond World Poker Classic. The field in the event was stacked with the likes of Daniel Negreanu, Jason Mercier, David Peters, Isaac Haxton and Erik Seidel.
Daniel Negreanu came second in the event and won $936,000 which was enough to extend his lead in the all-time tournament money list to over $35 million. Seidel currently holds second with $33,198,641, according to Hendon Mob.
The WPT Five Diamond World Poker Classic Main Event will get underway on Tuesday.
I’ll enter day 2 200-400 blinds with a 30k stack is plenty.
— Daniel Negreanu (@RealKidPoker) December 4, 2017
– Oral arguments were heard today in the big sports betting case at the U.S. Supreme Court. If New Jersey were to win in Christie vs NCAA, New Jersey and possibly other states could begin to roll out sports betting as early as 2018. The benefits of a positive decision could even impact online poker.
So how did it go? Although a decision is likely to be reached in mid-2018, initial reports were positive:
5 conservative justices + Breyer = sports betting for New Jersey (and other states). That’s the early read from today’s oral argument at #SCOTUS.
— Daniel Wallach (@WALLACHLEGAL) December 4, 2017
Elsewhere in New Jersey, Senator Raymond Lesniak introduced a bill last week that would allow the state to link up with international player pools. Earlier this year, New Jersey announced that they would be linking player pools with Nevada and Delaware.
– Here are a couple bad beats posted over the last week that might help you feel better about your own.
Joe Ingram losing a $16,000 pot at the Aria:
Phil Laak losing with AK against pocket tens in the most hilariously way possible:
– Las Vegas is feeling the impact of October’s tragedy in October. During the month revenue on The Strip fell 6% from the same time last year. The number of visitors was down over 4%.
– David Huber turns back the clock and lists the top 5 things the movie Rounders forgot to teach poker players.
– Grinderschool.com classic poker training video of the day takes a brief look at a $60 heads-up SNG. This video focuses on adapting to your opponent and exploiting weakness.